Tuesday 20 September 2016

Top 10 Books That Got Me Into Reading

For the most part, these books aren't in any order, except for number 1 which was the tipping point into my obsessions with books.

10. Fantastic Mr. Fox



This book to this day, remains one of my favourite books of all time. I've been itching to reread this for many years now. I originally read this in, I think, the third grade. I can't exactly remember, but I just remember hating books, but loving this.

9. The Witches



Another Roald Dahl book. Ronald Dahl may have just been the exception of my childhood hatred towards books. Anything her wrote was just fascinating to me, it was outside the box and put in a way that my child brain revelled in, although, the movie scared me the first time I read it. I still have this book on my shelf today.

8. Kensuke's Kingdom



Unlike the rest of the books on this list, I never actually read the book myself. My teacher read this book to us. At first I was bored and didn't want to listen, because I'm actually really bad at paying attention, but I subconsciously listened, and eventually I looked forward to listening to this book everyday. It was an amazing story and I had such a great time with this.

7. Mr Popper's Penguins



In the fourth grade I was still under the impression that I hated reading, my teacher was determined to get me to read a book that year. So she asked me what I liked. I told her animals. She went and pulled this book out and told me to read it. I loved this book so much. I could never get myself to watch the movie. It just looked so different in the trailer, I couldn't ruin my image of this book.

6. Dog Lost



This book had a dog on the cover, so of course I had to read it. It was a really sad book, but I loved it. I read it over and over again and for the longest time it was the only book I would read. No matter how sad I found it, I just could not stop reading it over and over again.

5. The Frog Princess



My friend was going on and on about how good this book was. She was totally harassing me to read it and finally one day I checked it out of the school library. I got about a chapter in and decided I didn't want to read it so I put it back down and returned it. A couple weeks later my friend was still harassing me to read this book, so I went and checked it out again, brought it home. I really wasn't even going to try reading it again, but I got bored and decided to read it. I stayed up till 1 am reading this book. Considering how young I was I'm surprised my parents let me. I fell in love with the book and instantly had to read the rest in the series. I have every single on of those books still on my shelf.

4. The Underneath



I read this book in the 2nd grade. It was the first book I read that I actually didn't hate. I even enjoyed it. It wasn't enough to get me into full time reading, but it was a good gateway book.

3. Henry and Ribsy



I really don't remember what this book was about, but I read it right after Mr. Popper's Penguins, and it was the book that forced me into casual reading. I was no longer a one book a year kind of girl. Maybe 3 or 4 a year.

2. Talking to Dragons



My teacher was forcing me to get a book for silent reading because apparently Garfield comics weren't actually books (I still call bullshit on that) so I just walked along the shelves and pulled a random book off the shelf. It ended up being this one. This explains why this is the fourth book in a series and I haven't read any of the others. It could have been a stand alone though, it was about a different character. This book took me a month to read, but it was worth it. I really liked it.

1. Harry Potter



This was the series that once I finished, I could no longer just casually read books every once in a  while. I was obsessed. Checking out all sorts of books from the library, borrowing my sisters books because at the time I thought she had so many. I eventually even started buying my own books, and I've long since passed the point of no return.

No comments:

Post a Comment