Saturday 4 November 2017

Tower of Dawn Review


Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6)
Tower of Dawn
by Sarah J. Maas

Spoilers


Synopsis:



Chaol Westfall has always defined himself by his unwavering loyalty, his strength, and his position as the Captain of the Guard. But all of that has changed since the glass castle shattered since his men were slaughtered, since the King of Adarlan spared him from a killing blow, but left his body broken.

His only shot at recovery lies with the legendary healers of the Torre Cesme in Antica—the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire. And with war looming over Dorian and Aelin back home, their survival might lie with Chaol and Nesryn convincing its rulers to ally with them.


But what they discover in Antica will change them both—and be more vital to saving Erilea than they could have imagined.

My Thoughts:



I gave this book 5 stars. This book exceeded my expectations, it was just so unexpected that I loved it. I didn’t expect to enjoy it, I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews, but I can say with 100% certainty I enjoyed this book.

I didn’t read this book right away as I normally do with Sarah J. Maas books because, to be honest, I wasn’t really looking forward to this book all that much. It was pretty much just an obstacle I had to get through so I could read the final Throne of Glass book next year.

You might be wondering, “Why Jessie? You used to love Chaol!” and that’s exactly why. I loved Chaol so much, I shipped him with Celaena even more and when their relationship fell through I had an impossible time getting over it. Much like Richard from Friends, getting over him was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. I didn’t even notice the sparks between Celaena and Rowan in book three because I was too busy wanting Celaena to return and get back with him. Really the only way to get me past that was for me to start hating him for how he was acting in Queen of Shadows, he had to get on my bad side for me to get over Choalena. 

I am happy to say that I once again love Chaol. Sarah J. Maas has a way of molding how you feel about characters in every which way. She’ll make you hate one character for so long but then bring in all these things that make you love them and vice versa. She can make you angry at a character you once loved and then make you love them again. Sarah J. Maas is really good at what she does and I hope she never stops.

I was spoiled for the relationships in this book because some people on Instagram don’t know how to use spoiler warnings. Because of these spoilers, I wasn’t at all surprised when I started the book and Nesryn and Chaol’s relationship wasn’t doing so well. I knew exactly where it as going from the start and I have to say I wasn’t that sad to see them move on. I don’t know, I never really liked them together a whole lot. I mean, I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t love it as much as the other relationships in the series.

Despite being spoiled for the Yrene and Chaol development, I was still shocked by it. It seemed like something that was just out of the blue, I never actually expected to see Yrene in a book again. Although, knowing Sarah J. Maas and her love of bringing back all the other characters from Assassin’s Blade, I really should have known she would bring Yrene into this one. Also, I think it’s safe to say that because she keeps bringing in all these old characters, maybe the Silent Assassins might make an appearance in the next book. Who knows.

Back to the point, I was making about Yrene and Chaol, they surprised the hell out of me, but they work. What didn’t work about Chaol and Celaena was that they had clashing personalities. And while at first, this caused really good chemistry, eventually that clashing came down to more serious life decisions that they just could not get past. Yrene and Chaol seem to agree on most things and when one of them thinks the other is completely wrong they aren’t afraid to talk to one another, they communicate.


If you think that you don’t have to read this book to read the last Throne of Glass book I’m gonna have to smash your dreams to pieces because this book is 100% necessary. We find out so much new stuff that will come into play in the final book. We learn more about characters, plot lines converge and finally, we are seeing the whole picture and not just fragments of what we think is happening. 

Quotes:


“He’d almost told the princess that she could keep Hellas’s Horse, but there was something to be said about the prospect of charging down Morath foot soldiers atop a horse named Butterfly.” 

“Gods help him when Hasar and Aedion met.” 

“The heart he’d offered and had been left to drop on the wooden planks of the river docks. An assassin who had sailed away and a queen who had returned.” 


“Using the chair is not a punishment. It is not a prison,' he said softly. 'It never was. And I am as much of a man in that chair, or with that cane, as I am standing on my feet.' He brushed away the tear that slipped down her cheek.'I wanted to heal you,' she breathed.'You did,' he said, smiling. 'Yrene, in every way that truly matters . . . You did.'Chaol wiped away the other tears that fell, brushing a kiss to her hot cheek.” 


“Everything hurts.” Falkan grimaced, rubbing at his leg. “Remind me never to do anything heroic again.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment