Sunday 4 February 2018

Sunday Favorites: Kricket Series by Amy A. Bartol


I didn’t do a Top 5 Wednesday this week because I couldn’t think of a list. The topic was Top 5 Hidden Gems in Your Favorite Genre. My favorite genre is split between sci-fi and fantasy so it must seem easy to be able to make up a list. It was not. All I could think about was this one book series that I absolutely adore and think others would love it just as much as I do, but no one but me seems to have read it. 




The series in question is The Kricket Series by Amy A. Bartol. It has so much to offer, adventure, action, a badass female protagonist, and a love triangle that I actually couldn’t choose who my favorite was. I know who I prefer her with, but I still really loved her relationship with this other character.

Under Different Stars (Kricket, #1)
For curiosities sake, here is the synopsis of the first book:

Kricket Hollowell is normally not one to wish upon stars; she believes they’re rarely in her favor. Well versed at dodging caseworkers from Chicago’s foster care system, the past few years on her own have made Kricket an expert at the art of survival and blending in. With her 18th birthday fast approaching, she dreams of the day when she can stop running and find what her heart needs most: a home. 

Trey Allairis hates Earth and doubts that anyone from his world can thrive here. What he’s learning of Kricket and her existence away from her true home only confirms his theory. But, when he and Kricket lie together under the stars of Ethar, counting them all may be easier than letting her go. 

Kyon Ensin’s secrets number the stars; he knows more about Kricket's gifts than anyone and plans to possess her because of them. He also knows she’s more valuable than any fire in the night sky. He’ll move the heavens and align them all in order to make her his own. 

When everything in their world can be broken, will Kricket rely upon love to save her under different stars?

Now I know there are actually almost 13000 people who've read this one Goodreads, but I have yet to actually talk to someone about this book who I hadn't made read it in the first place. Where are you 13000 other people who have read this book? I can't seem to find you.

This series also houses my favorite secretly good villain, Kyon. He is the king of misunderstood, everyone absolutely hates him throughout the first two books and then when you finally get to know him you know you’ve been wrong this whole time. He reminds me a lot of Warner from Shatter Me. We meet him and he has all the traits of a power-hungry soldier of a dystopian regime, but it turns out we completely misunderstood him the whole time. This is what I like to call good writing. 

Kricket is one of my favorite main characters of all time. She’s smart and tough, she knows exactly what she wants. She’ strong, but will let herself be vulnerable and is just full of compassion. Even if the story was shit I would still read it all just for her.

This series also isn't light on plot. We have a full-blown war going on between "countries" and rebel groups trying to overthrow those in power all while Kricket is trying to make her way back home. It's never boring. My only gripe about the entire series is that it ended right in the middle of the series. Supposedly it is only supposed to have 3 books, but the final book left so much to be questioned. I'm waiting for the day when the author finally decides to write more books in this series.


The entire series is so underrated and I 100% think it deserves some love.

Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment