Sunday 29 October 2017

Sunday Favorites: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer


I've finally been hit with inspiration for another Sunday Favorites Post. If you didn't know before, Sunday Favorites is a blog series where I talk about some of my favorite books and characters and some of my personal experiences with said books and characters. I hope you guys enjoy this weeks post!




It took me two days to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. The first day I started the book after school, my sister had a rugby game that day and I had to stay and watch, first their practice and then their game. So needless to say I was going to be there a while. I know this seems a bit obnoxious, but I didn’t pay any attention to the game that my sister and some of my friends were playing, which they later got mad at me about, I was too busy reading this book. In my defense, I knew nothing about rugby, less than nothing. I knew the bare minimum, only that it was sort of like football but not really, they just had similar balls and tackled each other. So I spent about three hours immersed in this book, loving every second of it.

The characters were witty and there were parts where I would just sit there laughing because of the ridiculous shit these characters would do, but I loved them for it. I especially loved Noah Shaw. This week's Sunday Favourites is actually inspired by the fact that I am currently reading an ARC of the Becoming of Noah Shaw, which by the way, comes out on the 7th of November.

Mara is also one of my favorite protagonists, she was just so damaged and a lot of the things she would think and say where things that I could relate to or at least find amusing in some way. What did break my heart was the fact that animals didn’t like her. Honestly, if animals didn’t like me I would probably start balling, however, Mara deals with it like a pro.

The atmosphere of this book is so different from anything else I’ve ever read. I have a generally hard time reading books that would be deemed creepy. A lot of the time it feels forced, like the author is just trying too hard to make it creepy and so the story drags on. This one seamlessly merged creepy with fast-paced. 


This is also one of those books that I could just reread 10 times and still be completely immersed in the story every single time. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is a book that always helps me whenever I need to get out of a reading slump, it has everything I really want from a book. It’s definitely one of my favorite books of all time.

Have you read the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer? What are your thoughts?


Feel free to add me on social media! And you can follow my blog in the sidebar to be notified when I post!
Jessie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Instagram Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment